STEEPLE MORDEN PARISH COUNCIL

Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held in the Cricket Pavilion on

Monday 10th  July 2017 at 7.30pm

Present:                     Councillors: J Brocklehurst (Chairman),  S Martin,  A Drew, G Belson, C Upchurch, C Whittington, S Norton

District Cllr Murfitt, County Cllr Kindersley

In attendance:               Mrs S Walmesley (Clerk) and 3 members of the public.

 

PARISH COUNCIL MEETING 7.30 PM

1.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND DECLARATIONS UNDER THE CODE OF CONDUCT AND REQUESTS FOR DISPENSATIONS

Apologies were received from Mrs Wheatley and Mr Clayton.

Mr Brocklehurst declared a non Pecuniary interest under Item 9.1 as a neighbour. Mr Whittington declared a non Pecuniary interest under Item 10.1 as a Blue Grass Committee member.

 

 

2.

COMMENTS AND OBSERVATIONS FROM PARISHIONERS AND MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

2.1 Aircraft Movements

A resident from Craft Way expressed his concern over the number of aircraft flying over the village on route to Luton airport. With the planned expansion to the airport this number would increase. Councillors were given statistics on the movements, shown drawings and advised of stacking movements.. He confirmed that he had been working with Heidi Allen MP who asked him to keep a log.  Mr Whittington advised that he had looked into this information in the past and challenged the stack explanation. The resident suggested Councillors looked at the website which had provided the information. He added that there was only one complaint logged for this area.

Mr Martin stated that he did not find the aircraft a problem adding that the private planes performing acrobatic manoeuvres were more of a problem. Mrs Norton advised that there was  problem a few years ago when NATS were carrying out their consultation. There was a slight change made. Cllr Kindersley referred to noise levels stating that the modern aircraft were much quieter.  After further discussion the Chairman agreed that these concerns should be publicised in the newsletter so that any other concerned residents could contact the resident. He added that the noise levels in Odsey had decreased over the past few years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3.

COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLOR REPORTS

3.1 District Council

Cllr  Murfitt expressed her sympathy for the council responsible for re homing the families from  the Grenfell Tower fire in West London recently. She added that every council had a long list of people needing housing.  There was recently a house fire in Guilden Morden and the family were rehoused the same day as a property was kept ready for emergencies. The Acting Chief Executive had confirmed that the District Council did have an emergency plan and Cllr Murfitt suggested that the Parish Council revisit this initiative which was discussed a few years previously.

 A survey of South Cambridgeshire District Council property had been started in May 2017 and was due to be completed at the end of July. If anything needed to be done this would be arranged

Cllr Murfitt advised that a new Chief Executive was due to take up the position. Hopefully the planning position would improve. She asked to be advised if there was any problems with planning so she could chase up with the officer personally.

3.2 County Council

Cllr Kindersley had circulated a written report.

He advised that a meeting had been arranged with Hertfordshire County Council representative, Steve Jarvis, to look at the A505 junction and he had asked Mr Jarvis to make enquiries as to where the S106 money paid by OMYA currently was.

Cllr Kindersley referred to the current consultation regarding the diversion of footpath 37 and 38. Mrs Norton explained the history of the path and stated that she thought that there had been an agreement to reinstate to the original route which was the Parish Councils preferred option. She believed the County Footpaths officers would be visiting during the coming week.

Current consultations, accessed through the Cambridgeshire County Council, website were advised. Councillors were urged to respond. There was also a consultation on the new timetables for the proposed Kings Cross/ St Pancras/ Gatwick service starting in 2018. It was noted that Ashwell station would benefit from extra trains. Dr Belson stated that it would still mean that people had to stand all the way into London due to the lack of seating. She advised that there was a Ashwell and Mordens train group and would forward the contact details to Cllr Kindersley.

There was a presentation made to the District Councillors regarding the combining the planning functions of South Cambridgeshire District Council and Cambridge City Council. It had been stated that this would provide a wider range of expertise. Cllr Kindersley added that if the new structure speeded up the planning process that would be good but it might be disappointing if officers dealing with the villages did not know the area.

Dr Belson then reported on the recent litter pick which involved eight adult volunteers and two children. There would not be a session during August  but there would be a session on the 9th September where the end of the village would be targeted. It was planned that the Cubs and Scouts would carry out a litter pick on the recreation ground in November with other volunteers revisiting Odsey. The Chairman reported that an Odsey resident had carried out his own litter pick and collected a lot of fast food packaging. Steeple Morden also suffered from this discarded waste. The Chairman asked if there was anyone within the County Council who could approach the fast food outlets. Cllr Kindersley advised that he was aware that some of the  outlets collected rubbish in a small area around their premises.  Dr Belson advised that she had written to County Highways to find out if the roads outside the 30mph speed limit could be closed for a short while to enable litter to be picked up from these grass verges. Cllr Kindersley advised that it would cost a lot of money to close the road but he would make enquiries with colleagues.

Mr Whittington stated that he had not seen a lot of evidence of police support for Community Speedwatch. He would like a Police officer to come out to the village with a speed gun and hand out tickets to offenders. A discussion took place on this. Cllr Kindersley advised that under the MHI Scheme a lot of parishes had been successful with funding help towards purchasing the Speedwatch equipment.

The Chairman thanked Cllr Murfitt and Cllr Kindersley for their reports.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-GB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-SK

4.

 

TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF

4.1 The Parish Council  Meeting held on 12th June 2017

On a proposition by Mr Whittington  seconded by Mrs Norton the minutes as circulated were taken as read and then approved as a true record  and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

5.

MATTERS ARISING AND CARRIED FORWARD

5.1 A505 Junction

5.1.1 Update on HCC agreed work at Junction

There was no further update from the Clerk. As reported in the County Council report Cllr Kindersley had arranged a meeting with a Hertfordshire County Council representative.

5.2 St Peter & St Paul –funding of repairs and tree work

The Chairman reported that he had enlisted the help of Heidi Allen MP to try to obtain a finite decision on what the Parish Council could do regarding donations to a Church Charity. The initial response from the House of Commons was that the 1892 Act had to be adhered to.  The Chairman had also spoken to Mike Smith, the Church Treasurer, who thought it would be helpful with grant applications for a letter supporting the work of the Church to be sent by the Parish Council. The Clerk reminded Councillors of the latest information from NALC confirming that Parish Councils could contribute towards the grasscutting of a burial ground but not to the fabric of a Church building. After discussion it was agreed that the Clerk would send a letter as requested, to Mr Smith, expressing the support of the Parish Council and advising that investigations were taking place as to how it was allowed to help.

5.3 Transfer of village website hosting

The Clerk confirmed that the website appeared to be working and the transfer had been completed.

5.4 Update on request for Litter/Dog waste bins

Whilst dealing with a request to South Cambridgeshire District Council, regarding the removal of the litter collected, Dr Belson had urged the Supervisor for an update and had been told that she needed to come out to the village to see if  the additional bins were necessary. The Supervisor had not managed to do this yet.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.

FINANCES

6.1 To receive the financial statement and to approve the payment of bills

The invoices were checked by Mrs Drew. On a proposition by Mrs Drew, seconded by Dr Belson,  the following payments as listed in the monthly financial report were approved:

E-ON

Reading Room electricity June 2017 DD                                                                               £74.00

IN & OUT

Disabled toilet clean June 2017                                                                                          £   13.24

HALES PRINTERS

Newsletters                                                                                                                             £   40.00

BASSINGBOURN PARISH COUNCIL

Paper towels and cont towards stationery                                                                          £   32.56

STEEPLE MORDEN VILLAGE HALL

Contribution towards car park floodlighting                                                                                     £250.00

K CHAPMAN

Website hosting and domain control                                                                                   £100.00

MD LANDSCAPING

Grasscutting verges x2                                   £ 440.00

Recreation Ground x13                                  £910.00

VAT                                                                   £270.00                                                        £1620.00

MRS S WALMESLEY

Clerks salary & expenses 1/4/17 -30/9/17                                                                        £  943.28

HMRC

PAYE April –Sept 2017                                                                                                       £  222.00

MAGPAS AIR AMBULANCE

Donation                                                                                                                                 £50.00

TOTAL                                                                                                                                    £3295.08

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.

RECREATION GROUND/CONSERVATION AREA

7.1 Recreation Ground Maintenance –working group update

Mrs Drew reported that everything was satisfactory apart from an increase in dog mess. She had picked a lot up, some around the dog waste bin, during the past two weeks.  She presumed it was from the same dog.

7.1.1 Dangerous Willow tree by brook

The contractor had asked the Clerk for access to collect the remains of the tree but by the time Mrs Drew had received the message it was too late. She had since given the contractor her mobile number so that he could contact her directly.

7.2 Planting of Bulbs at entrance to village

The Clerk was awaiting details of planting suggestions.

7.3 Recreation Ground Drains

The Chairman reported that another contractor had looked at the drain and advised that something could be done within the existing manhole which would cost around £300.  He had requested a quotation which had not yet been received. The Chairman suggested that, subject to a satisfactory quote, it might be worthwhile going with this remedy rather than spend a lot more for the changing of the drains. This was agreed. Once the quotation was received it would be circulated to Councillors.

7.4 Damage to Recreation Ground Neighbours fence

The Chairman and Mrs Drew had looked at the repair and agreed that it was not a very good job. The dimensions in the chain link fence were also different. The Chairman suggested that the resident be asked to source some satisfactory fencing for the Parish Council to arrange installation. This was agreed.

7.5 RoSPA Play Area Inspection Report 2017

Mrs Drew reported that most of the items requiring attention could be dealt with by the working group. She would compile a list of works, and how they could be dealt with, by the next meeting.

7.5.1 Conifers around Play Area

The Clerk had been asked to mark this out for discussion following the January 2017 meeting. It was noted that the reason for this was so that expenditure for work on the trees could be included in the budget for the next financial year. Mrs Drew confirmed that the RoSPA report did not mention the trees. She had cut them back at the beginning of the year. Mr Whittington added that they should be given some attention as the area was dark and got very muddy in the Autumn/Winter.  The promised materials for the footpath surface was now with the Parish Council.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-AD

8.

MAINTENANCE

8.1 Footpaths

Mrs Norton suggested that the footpath leaflet be put on the parish website so that any interested parishioners could print a copy off if needed. This was agreed.

8.1.1 Footpath 7

The Chairman had been approached by a resident complaining about the overgrown nettles on the path. Mr Whittington stated that he walked the path and it was passable. It was acknowledged that the path was cut by a volunteer on behalf of the landowner.

8.1.2 Footpath 10 –Minor Highway Improvement Scheme 2017/18 Application

This item would be kept on the agenda until the agreed work had taken place.

8.2 Litlington Road Bus Shelter

The bus shelter was now rebuilt using the original bricks. The Chairman advised that the contractor had not been sure whether the old roof could be reused.

8.3 Village Litter Pick

This was discussed under the County Council report.

 

 

9.

PLANNING APPLICATIONS

9.1 Planning Ref S/2157/17/FL

Flint Cottage, 104 Station Road –Single storey rear extension

(Mr P Redd)

Recommendation –Support

9.2 Planning Ref S/1536/17/FL

9 Church Farm Lane –Extension to side and rear of property

(Mr S Groom)

Details had been circulated to Councillors and there had been no concerns raised. Mr Martin advised that the date for any representations had now passed.

9.3 Planning Ref S/1954/17/FL

115 Hay Street –Single storey rear extension

(Mr P Boyt)

Recommendation -Support

 

 

9.

TO CONSIDER CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED INCLUDING:

9.1 East Anglian Bluegrass Festival 2018

A letter had been received thanking the Parish Council for their ongoing support and with a request to use the recreation ground again from the 15th -18th June 2018. Mrs Drew advised that she had already booked these dates in the diary for the Festival. Mr Whittington confirmed that he had liaised with the sports clubs.

Dr Belson raised concern over some burnt patches on the grass following this year’s event. Mr Whittington advised that he was aware of this and would change the guidance notes to users for 2018.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10.

COUNCILLORS’ ITEMS FOR INFORMATION AND REQUIRING THE URGENT ATTENTION OF THE CLERK

10.1 Parking on Pavement

Mr Martin expressed his concern over inconsiderate parking on the pavement particularly opposite the Primary school. It was agreed that a reminder would be put in the parish newsletter pointing out that not only was this practice illegal but it was dangerous for pedestrians. Mrs Upchurch suggested that this item also include a reminder not to park the wrong way on the road.

10.2 Footpath Support

Mrs Norton had been asked to thank the Parish Council for their support with the diversion of footpaths.

 

 

 

11.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING Monday 21st August 2017

 

 

There was no further business and the Chairman declared the meeting closed at 9.05 pm

-----------------------------------------------                                                                 ------------------------

Chairman                                                                                                                      Date