The airfield opened in 1940, the first occupants were 11.OTU (Operational Training Unit) flying Mkls. las. and lcs. Wellington Bombers. In February 1942 an unusual event occurred, when a German JU -88 Bomber, thinking they were over France, and totally disorientated, crash landed at the airfield. The crew were quickly captured and taken to Bassingbourn for interrogation.
In late September 1942, 11 OTU was transferred to RAF Westcott and Oakley in Buckinghamshire. October saw the ingress of the American 12th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron and on 25th the 15th Photographic Mapping Squadron of the 3rd Photographic Group arrived under the command of Col.Elliott C. Roosevelt, the American President's son, flying P-38 Lightnings. In November 1942 the 5th Photographic Reconnaissance Squadron arrived with nine P-38s. These squadrons were to stay very briefly and on November 3Oth they were gone, with the airfield falling silent again.
January 1943, a new sound was heard over the village, as the airfield was taken over by 17.OTU flying Blenheim Bombers. In April 1943, 17. OTU departed with a move to RAF Silverstone. In the village rumors were rife that the Yanks were coming back. The 355th Fighter Group arrived on the Clyde, Scotland on July 6th en-route to Steeple Morden, which they later renamed Station F -122.
The first commander of the 355th was Lt. Col. William J. Cummings. Under his command were the 355th Group Headquarters, 354th, 357th and 358th Fighter Squadrons, respectively named the Bulldogs, Dragons, and Angels. Initially the 355th were flying P-47 Thunderbolts and later P-51 Mustangs. Steeple Morden was also home to the 2nd. Scouting Force. This group of very brave pilots flew ahead of the bombers and radioed back weather information and enemy aircraft positions, thus saving the lives of thousands of bomber crews.
During their stay the 355th received a unit citation for their extraordinary heroism and outstanding performance. They were also the highest Group for destroying aircraft on the ground, earning them the name the' Steeple Morden Strafers ' .They saw action in the D- day landings and destroying the Luftwaffe when they ventured aloft. In July 1945 the 355th departed to Gablingen, Germany to become a part of the Army of Occupation.
Following the departure of the 355th the airfield was taken over by the 4th Fighter Group, who stayed until November 1945, when it was handed back to the RAP .
The airfield was closed in September 1946 and was offered back to the original owners, George Jarman, George Smyth and Bert Parrish.
During their stay the 355th made firm and lasting relations with the communities of Steeple Morden and Litlington. A wonderful memorial now stands on the Litlington Road dedicated in May 1981 to the brave men who served at Steeple Morden.1n 1993 a beautiful stained glass window was dedicated in St.Catherine's Church, Litlington, to the 355th Fighter Group. In 2003 the memorial was extended to take in the names of the 355th and RAF personal who died whist serving at the airfield. In Litlington, The Crown Public House lounge bar has memorabilia and photographs depicting life on the airfield with the RAF and the Eighth Air Force.
Little remains of the airfield today except a few buildings, a part of the main runway and the perimeter track. The sound of Wellington Bombers and Mustangs Fighters has disappeared. The only sound to be heard now is the wind rustling through the fields in the Cambridgeshire countryside.